We have all been there. You wake up and everything from the second you get out of bed starts to go wrong. The coffee is cold. You can’t find a thing to wear. Your kids are screaming in your ear. It is all you can do to get out the door without raising your voice, or mumbling obscene words under your breathe. Then suddenly someone smiles at you on the street, lets you cut in front of them at the grocery store, or holds the door open for you. Magically the day just seems to get better. The way others treat us sets the tone of how we view them. Here are six ways you can make someone’s day better. Try one or all six of them. I bet you will get a smile.
1. Smile ~ when someone is having a bad day, a simple smile from a stranger will usually make their problems go away. Just a simple gesture from you can mean the world to another person.
2. Hold the door~ Instead of being in such a hurry to get where you need to be, hold the door open for someone behind you. This simple act of kindness might help a person more than you will ever know.
3. Listen~ When was the last time you listened to someone? I don’t mean half listen, I mean really listened. Our friends, co-workers or family members don’t always need our advice. Sometimes they just need an ear to really hear what they are going through and to tell them, things will be alright.
4. Introduce the new guy/girl~ it can be awfully hard to be the new person in a new school, new group or even new job. Take the new person under your wing for the day and introduce them to the ones you know. Really include them. Your kindness could go a long way in helping someone adjust to a scary situation.
5. Volunteer~ Just because you don’t have money for charities or lots of time on your hands, doesn’t mean you can’t volunteer. Maybe your neighbor needs a last minute babysitter for the afternoon. Maybe a soup kitchen needs a person a mere hour a week. Maybe a dear friends child needs help with homework. All these tiny acts of kindness can go a long way to show people how much you care.
6. Put a positive spin on a bad circumstance~ attitude is everything in life. If someone you know is having a bad day or a really bad year even, you might be able to help a little. Show them there are still good people who care. Show them their situation isn’t that bad. Show them this world is a great place to be. Show them kindness when they really need it.
As Plato says, “Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”
Your kindness goes a long way to show people you care. You might not realize the impact it has made right away, but don’t let that hinder you from helping people. Even if it is not immediately evident, I promise you, your kindness makes a difference.
Written By: Debra A. Devita
July 23rd 2012